Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Bon Appetit

Steelhead with creamy garlic sauce and Shiitake Mushroom Risotto


Preparing dinner yesterday evening was so enjoyable. Joe and I worked together to create a delicious meal. He grilled fresh steelhead, topped with his homemade garlic lemon cream sauce while I cooked shiitake mushroom risotto. To finish it off, we paired these savory dishes with a crisp, chilled bottle of Mer Soleil Chardonnay - Perfection! I'm beginning to love the process of cooking (especially when Joe and I can work at it together). Cooking is not just a means to an end; I find delight in the act of cooking- a good cut of grass-fed beef, a fresh filet of salmon, a perfectly creamy risotto, not to mention a delicately layered Pinot Noir!


We were made in the image of God the creator. Even so, our work in the kitchen reflects God’s good work as Creator. We find joy in creating delicious meals or take simple delight in a perfect food and wine pairing because it reflects the goodness of God's gift of creation.

According to the Westminster Catechism man's purpose in life is to "glorify God and enjoy him forever". The table is where we enjoy the richness of creation, and share in the Creator’s joy at having created things that are not simply nourishing, but good.  The joy of the feast in its fullness comes not in the kitchen, but around the table.  The table is where we reach outside ourselves, inviting others in to share our joy and appreciation for Creation. Matthew 22 tells us that the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who arranged a marriage feast for his son and sent out his servants to call those who were invited. Capon says that our fellowship at the dinner table can stand as a reflection of God meeting us at his table.  It is no accident that the sacraments are real things, a real meal with real people, where an equally real God shows real grace.  


May your feasts this summer be abundant, may you enjoy more than just fine food and wine, and let your speech be seasoned with the flavors of grace (Colossians 4:6).

6 comments:

  1. Amen, what a wonderful post. Very inspiring. Risotto has always intrigued me, and seemed like a mystery to make. You have spurred me on to try it. Here's a thought. Next time you make it, would you consider taking pictures and doing a post on the making of risotto?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Cathy. Next time I make my risotto I'll post the recipe and technique tips.

      Delete
  2. I must agree with you. Making a good meal is one of my favorite things to do especially since I know Daniel will enjoy it with me! In fact, I'm making one tonight for our anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that making a caring feast experience for our families is one way of giving glory to God. And my boys certainly believe that I look the prettiest with a warm pan of fresh bread in my hand for dinner.

    I was going to ask for the risotto recipe also. So it looks like we're all waiting on you Grace. :P

    ReplyDelete